Saturday, May 31, 2008

Bulgur and Tomato Salad

As I was turning the pages of How To Cook Everything Vegetarian, I noticed a recipe for Bulgur and Tomato Salad. The miracle of miracles: I had all ingredients on hand! In fact, I've had a bag of bulgur for quite a while, but haven't had a chance to use it. In fact, I've never cooked bulgur before and it was fun learning that you cook it the same way as cous-cous: soak it in hot water and it's done!

The salad was ridiculously easy to put together: tomatoes, red onions, feta, olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt & pepper, oregano and of course bulgur. This is something I make quite often with cous-cous and a variety of vegetables, but I would never have put oregano in as well (it addde a really nice flavor).


Confession: the recipe called for red pepper flakes, but I was out of them and was too lazy to walk over to World Market.

Thoughts: I think I'll start using bulgur instead of cous-cous from now on. Why? Because bulgur is actually wheat and has more of a bite and texture than cous-cous.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm a fan of bulgur! Definitely healthier than cous cous, and it has a more complex texture. I'd drain it next time, so it's not as wet. Also, perhaps cut the tomatoes into wedges instead of dicing.

Abby said...

Bulgur was one of my greatest finds last year when I was doing WW. (Although it does seem to bother my tummy at times, for some reason.) I ate it A LOT - often with a fried egg on top!)

I didn't know Bittman had a vegetarian cookbook out. I might have to check it out at the library and see what I think!

Anonymous said...

I have this book! Have used it lots since I bought it--made the pita bread, the minestrone soup, sauteed chard with orange juice, celeriac salad with remoulade. I use it for reference a lot too. Another nice salad for bulgur is to add some pistachios, kalamata olives, grated carrot, feta cheese and a lemon vinaigrette.
Looking forward to more posts!