Monday, June 23, 2008

Corn Salad

After eating out several times over the weekend, I was excited to make this relatively healthy corn salad.

Ingredients and Directions

1) Take off the kernels from the corn and saute in oil for about 5 minutes. Take off the heat, add chopped red onion and chili powder

2) Meanwhile combine seeded and chopped tomato, cubed avocado, chopped cilantro, lime juice and chopped pepper (Bittman said to use a red pepper, but at $2.60/red pepper, I decided to be a bit more money conscious and chose a green pepper)

3) Once the corn has cooled, combine with the rest of ingredients. Season with salt & pepper and serve


Thoughts: At first I was really excited about this recipe because I love tomatoes and avocados. Once I made it, I thought it was a bit mediocre. However, after it sat for a bit, the flavors be-friended each other, and the taste improved.

P.S. I'll admit I'm not crazy about the photo. It is what it is.

P.P.S. I had this salad for lunch today: it was good, but the avocados have turned brown. Unless you are planning to eat the salad directly after you make it, add avocados only directly before serving.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds so delicious and what a great blend of flavour!

Anonymous said...

This is one of my favorite recipes... we grill the corn, red onion, and cherry tomatoes and it adds a great smokiness to the salad.

tigerfish said...

Wooo...this corn salad can be my TV lunch...if someone were to make it for me :P

Norm Schoen said...

I have been doing variations of this salad all summer long. : )